Happy Berkey – Welcome back to the taste of Natural Water
Tips and Maintenance for Berkey Systems – Planning for Going Away For More than 3 Days – Priority Planning
Thank you for purchasing from Berkeywater.ie Over time some questions may pop up. Like how long will my filters last? For most questions go to the FAQ’s, A link to FAQ is just below this section. Any of the links provided in the FAQ’s will take you to Berkey manufacturer’s data library. You will find test results, how to’s and many more answers. To save you time read through the Do’s and Don’t before starting and keep this email in a Berkey Folder to refer back to when needed.
Do’s and Don’t
DO NOT LEAVE THE BLACK or FLUORIDE FILTERS IN THE SYSTEM, IF YOU ARE GOING AWAY FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS see link above
- IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE PRIMING BLUE KIT YOU CAN ‘SET UP EXTRA PRIMING’ VIA THE LINKS ABOVE AND GO BACK TO THIS STAGE WHEN YOU REACH THE PRIMING GUIDE ON THE ‘SET UP BERKEY’ ‘ASSEMBLING BERKEY SYSTEMS’ VIDEO
- SLOW WATER FLOW IS NOT A FILTER FAULT, IT IS PRIMING AND EXCESSIVE HEAT – CONTACT US FOR EXTRA HELP
- MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE RED DYE TEST UP-TO DATE
- BOIL WATER NOTICES AND WELL WATER GUIDES – LINKS BELOW
- BUY THE ARTIFICIAL RED DYE IN DUNNES OR SUPERVALU BAKING SECTION – GOODALLS BAKING DYE
- THE RODS ON THE BLACK FILTERS WILL BREAK IF TRANSPORTED WITH BLACK FILTERS SCREWED IN PLACE
- NEVER PLACE THE FILTERS ON A TABLE OR COUNTER EDGE WHERE THEY CAN ROLL OFF
- DO NOT LEAVE THE BLACK or FLUORIDE FILTERS IN THE SYSTEM, IF YOU ARE GOING AWAY FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS see links below on temporary storage
- REMEMBER YOU HAVE A GRAVITY FED SYSTEM WHICH MEANS IT’S FASTER FLOWING WHEN THE WATER LEVEL IS OVER THE BLACK FILTERS
- YOU ONLY NEED TO CHANGE THE BLACK FILTERS IF IT FAILS A RED DYE TEST AND AFTER YOU HAVE CHECKED FOR PRACTICAL REASONS OR IF FILTERS HAVE REACHED APPROX. 11000 LITRES PER FILTER OR 10YEARS, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST – SEE FAQ
- REMEMBER THE EASIEST WAY TO KEEP DAILY WATER AVAILABLE IS TO REPLACE WHAT YOU TAKE OUT – ONE JUG IN ONE JUG OUT
- IF YOU THINK YOU CAN ADD TO OUR TIP LIST PLEASE LET US KNOW. THE ABOVE ARE SOME OF OUR CUSTOMER EXPERIENCED REAL PROBLEMS –
Planning a Holiday/Short Break – Berkey Protection MUST Do’s
You do not need to boil your water in addition to running it through the Black Berkey® Purification Elements.
However, as an additional precaution, if using a source of water that you believe might contain extreme viral and bacteriological contamination such as E. coli, it is recommended by the CDC, EPA and other organizations that approximately sixteen drops of plain bleach (sodium hypochlorite) or iodine per gallon be added to treat the source water before purifying. This should kill minute pathogens such as viruses, within 30 minutes. 5 Simply add the drops to a pitcher of water, wait a half hour and then pour the treated water into the top chamber of your system. The disinfectant will be removed from the treated water entirely with the Berkey® system, including any odor or taste.